BIKE IT! COMMUTER CHALLENGE
RIDE TO END DISTRACTED DRIVING!
September 1 – September 30, 2020
Simply, Bike it! to get where you’re going. Register for free and then log those miles on STRAVA, or your BIKE IT! page. As the miles pile up, you’re helping LMB and the KIEFER FOUNDATION continue their work and building your own fitness! Our goal is to raise $25,000 and ride 20,000 commuter miles!
As part of the cycling community, we at LMB recognize the many challenges we face as a bicyclist. Advocacy in legislation has always been an important part of how we work each day to protect bicyclists in the state. Your support is a big part of how we get that work done! We’ve partnered with, THE KIEFER FOUNDATION, in raising awareness and supporting legislation that will work to end distracted driving.
A generous donor has offered to donate $0.50 for every mile YOU ride! They’ve challenged you to use your bike to commute to work, school, the grocery store, a doctor’s office, out to dinner, to a friend’s house, or anywhere that you would normally drive to. For those working from home, do a circle commute from your driveway and back to represent your commuting miles. You can also choose to fundraise, and of course, we would deeply appreciate that effort.
How To Participate
- Register as a Commuter for Free!
- Set a commuting goal on how many miles you want to ride in September.
- Take the pledge here!
- RIDE YOUR BIKE!
- Fundraise and ask your friends to support our work by joining you in the challenge.
- Record your miles on your BIKE IT! page or STRAVA.
- Share your bike-joy! Post pics of your many, many commuting miles on your Facebook, Instagram or Twitter page. Just use #bikeit.
- Ride Smart, Ride Safe. While on your commute please make sure to wear a helmet, obey all traffic laws, maintain social distancing, obey any local and state mask requirements, and don’t drive/cycle distracted!
- Qualify for a sweet t-shirt by recording at least 100 miles of your commutes!
How To Record Your Miles
- ON STRAVA – To join our Strava Club, follow this link and click “Join Club”. When you ride your commuting miles, be sure to tag your ride as a “commute” so we can count it as part of our total miles for the month!
- ON your BIKE IT! page – Just click the Register tab above and you’ll be directed to either register or sent to your page if you’ve already registered.
- Please don’t record your miles twice.
$50 Gift Card for sharing your bike-joy! Post those helmet-wearing photos on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter with #bikeit or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. At the end of BIKE IT!, we’ll give away a $50 gift card to American Cycle & Fitness to one randomly-chosen photo submitter!
SWEET t-shirt! We really want you to have one of these awesome t-shirts so ride 100 commuter miles and we’ll send you a SWEET United States of Bikes t-shirt! You can do it!
Want to do more than record miles? FUNDRAISE! To show our thanks for your efforts, everyone who registers as a Commuter and raises $100 or more will receive, in addition to the SWEET t-shirt, an iconic Detroit Bikes snapback cap, an LMB neck gaiter, and some awesome LMB mystery swag!
Detroit Bikes Sparrow! At the end of BIKE IT!, as we’re sending out all the t-shirts, hats, and swag, we’ll also acknowledge this summers top fundraiser who raises over $250 by presenting them a Detroit Bikes Sparrow bicycle!
MORE ABOUT TEAM BIKE IT!
We are the League of Michigan Bicyclists (LMB). Our mission is to improve life through bicycling. No matter what you ride, where you ride, or why you ride, LMB works to make Michigan bicycling better.
- WE WORK TO END DISTRACTED DRIVING
- We work to provide a voice in the legislative process to bicyclists, bike shops, and all the bicycle events in Michigan.
- We work to educate children and adults on how to ride safely.
- We work to educate drivers and law enforcement on how to protect bicyclists.
- We work to help provide children bicycle helmets.
- We work to help local community bicycle co-ops, coalitions, and infrastructure projects through our Micro-Grant program.
- We work to create and promote bicycle tours and events so people can enjoy Michigan by bike.
LMB – Life Made Better
We are The Kiefer Foundation. On September 19, 2016, Mitchel Kiefer was tragically killed in an auto accident caused by a distracted driver. Founded to honor Mitchel’s legacy, the mission of the Kiefer Foundation is to end distracted driving and all associated traffic deaths and injuries.
Any City or Town, MI Any