Posting Date: December 12, 2019
The League of Michigan Bicyclists (LMB) seeks a passionate bicyclist to serve as Education Coordinator. This new full-time position is tasked with expanding education programming and coordinating bicycle safety and promotion efforts in the classroom and on the road. This dynamic person will support LMB’s work to improve lives through bicycling.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research, develop, plan, promote, deliver, and evaluate a wide range of educational program offerings, including the League of American Bicyclists’ nationally-accredited Smart Cycling Program
- Build and coordinate a network of certified League Cycling Instructors (LCI) to serve as ambassadors for better biking, providing engaging education opportunities for various ages and demographics
- Manage existing safety grant from Michigan State Police Office of Highway Safety Planning (OHSP)
- Deliver OHSP grant-funded trainings for law enforcement, driver education instructors, and bicyclists with the goal of reducing bicycle and pedestrian crashes and fatalities
- Compile quarterly grant reports to measure and track program impact, metrics, and performance
- Develop toolkit resources to support bike clubs and other interested groups working to increase ridership, promote the joy of bicycling, and improve safety
- Organize Bike Month/National Bike Challenge activities
- Support League of American Bicyclists’ Bicycle Friendly America program applicants
- Serve as education ambassador on LMB bicycle tours
- Foster strategic partnerships with allies such as Safe Routes to School, Specialized Foundation,
Brain Injury Prevention Association of Michigan, state agencies, and others
- Regularly contribute content for LMB’s Michigan Bicyclist Magazine, website, and social media
- Attend LMB board meetings, organizational events, and conferences as needed
- Participate in LMB fundraising efforts to sustain and grow this position
- Work as a team player to fulfill LMB’s mission and goals
- Other related responsibilities as assigned
- Previous experience coordinating educational resources at a nonprofit organization or business
- Existing LCI certification or interest in obtaining certification (training available)
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills, including comfort with public speaking
- Strong bike handling skills, with an understanding of traffic safety and group riding knowledge
- Experience with overseeing volunteers and project management
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office, G Suite, and social media
- Graphic design, email marketing, and database management experience a plus (training provided)
- Meticulous time management and tracking
- Experience managing project budgets
- Previous grant writing and management experience a plus
- Previous training experience a plus
- Professional demeanor, sense of humor, and a strong ability to collaborate
- Self-motivated and self-directed, seeking guidance when appropriate
- Ability to ride a bicycle and be comfortable riding in various settings
- Flexibility to work non-standard hours for some evening and weekend events
- Available for in-state travel (valid driver’s license, clean record, and proof of auto insurance required)
- Pass a background check
- Social sensitivity skills and demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
- Ability to lift upwards of 40 lbs and have physical stamina
- Ability to work in typical office setting as well as in outdoor weather conditions
$35,000 – $45,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include paid time off, health coverage options, employer-matched retirement, flexible work environment, and opportunities to receive bicycle commuter credit, wellness incentive, and bonuses.
Work under the direction of the Executive Director. This position is located at LMB’s office along the River Trail in downtown Lansing. Flexibility with location and schedule will be considered for the right candidate.
Please email cover letter and resume as a single document to John Lindenmayer, Executive Director: john@LMB.org. Name your file as “FirstName_LastName.pdf” and send with subject line “Education Coordinator”. No calls please. The position is open until filled.
ABOUT THE LEAGUE OF MICHIGAN BICYCLISTS
Founded in 1981 to lead Michigan’s bicycle movement, LMB is a growing statewide 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization consisting of bicycle shops, clubs, events, organizations, and individual bicyclists united around making Michigan bicycling better. With our members and partners, LMB works to improve lives through bicycling. For more information visit www.LMB.org.
LMB is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive staff and workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, political ideology, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, genetics, disability, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. We strongly encourage applications from people who have historically been under-represented in the bicycle industry, advocacy, and nonprofit work.
LMB is an at-will employer. This is a full-time exempt position. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. LMB reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time.
Categorised in: Uncategorized