Category: LMB News
Published on Tuesday, 04 April 2017 15:31
Written by Aneta
In 2017, for the first time ever, LMB launched a Micro-Grant Program, opening up funds to foster the growth of bicycling initiatives around the state with the launch of a Micro-Grant Program.
The Micro-Grant Program aims to provide financial assistance to individuals and organizations who implement creative projects that promote bicycling and the safety of bicyclists on Michigan roadways.
Ranging from $200 - $2000, the Micro-Grants are small by design in order to support innovation and encourage groups who may have limited resources to dedicate towards fund development.
LMB has a targeted interest in:
- Projects focused on bicycle safety
- Campaigns focused on efforts to increase ridership – especially among youth, women, and underserved communities
- Applications related to on the ground advocacy efforts that stimulate community action towards policy change
- Innovative projects that demonstrate creativity and that can serve as a model for other bicycling advocates and communities across Michigan
- For other requests, please contact us
We currently do not fund:
- Trail or mountain biking infrastructure projects (We will, however, consider proposals to install bicycle parking and fix-it stations other trail amenities that encourage ridership.)
- Share the road signs
- Bicycle tours/rides/races
- General or ongoing organizational support
- Campaigns for political candidates
Who can apply?
Micro-grant funds are open to all Michigan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. Individuals, clubs, or other entities without an official 501(c)(3) designation will be considered if accompanied by a fiscal sponsorship agreement with an established nonprofit.
Grant applications from LMB members are given highest priority. If you or your organization are not currently a member, please consider joining in conjunction with your application or at www.LMB.org/join.
Grants must be applied for in advance of the opportunity. Retroactive requests will not be accepted.
Previous LMB Micro-Grant Awadees
How to apply
To apply, please download and complete a LMB Micro-Grant Application. When it becomes available in the spring. Completed applications must be forwarded via email to
with a copy of your IRS 501(c)(3) designation letter or fiscal sponsorship agreement letter. Optional additional documents, such as letters of support, may also be submitted via email.
LMB IS NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. APPLICATION WILL RE-OPEN SPRING 2019.
Micro-Grant funds will be distributed at a ceremony during LMB’s Lucinda Means Bicycle Advocacy Day at the State Capitol. Grant awardees are strongly encouraged to attend the ceremony.
LMB requests that all grant recipients keep us updated on the progress of their projects. Grant recipient expectations include:
• A short write up (400 words or less) explaining your project. Things to include:
- Outcome: what did your project build, improve, develop or accomplish?
- Who participated: identify volunteers, supporters, businesses, other groups who helped make your project a reality, including any political support received
- Benefits to the community, including economic impact if the information is available
- Impact on ridership, safety, etc.
- Keys to success and lessons learned: help us help others with what worked and what did not
- Summary of media coverage, if applicable
• Photos (we really love pictures of people riding bicycles)
• Mention of LMB in traditional media and/or social media outlets
• Include LMB name/logo on applicable print and digital materials
• Include “Project made possible by League of Michigan Bicyclists” on all projects
• A short thank you letter to share with our donors that briefly explains your project or campaign
We do not expect to be repaid for awarded grants unless you are unable to complete the project and reporting requirements within one year, in which case LMB reserves the right to request repayment in full.