The League of Michigan Bicyclists, Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance, Michigan Mountain Biking Association and PEAC are pleased to join forces once again for the Lucinda Means Bicycle Advocacy Day to be held at the State Capitol on Wednesday May 25th, 2016. Volunteers from all four organizations will educate legislators on key policy issues that facilitate a bicycle-friendly Michigan. Lunch will be provided after legislative visits, followed by an optional afternoon ride.
Whether you enjoy riding on Michigan roads, trails, or dirt single track, Advocacy Day is your opportunity to speak with one voice to help advance Michigan bicycling and the interests of cyclists of all abilities across the state. We hope that casual riders and die-hards alike will join us in communicating the great importance of bicycling to the Michigan Legislature.
Legislative Priorities include (subject to change):
Protecting vulnerable roadway users by establishing enhanced penalties for injuring or killing cyclists.
Establishing a standard for safe passing of bicyclists on Michigan roads.
- Assuring liability protection for persons who contract with a trail entity to provide construction, operation, or maintenance of a trail.
- Preventing the Raid on Natural Resources Trust Fund dollars available for trails projects.
- Adequately funding safe transportation infrastructure that supports multi-modal use.
- Promoting sustainable transportation funding for Michigan.
- Defending bicyclists rights on the roads.
- Speaking up for speed limit standards that take the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians into consideration.